The need for people of all ages to take care around campfires has once again been highlighted by a terrible accident on Queensland’s Sunshine Coast.
A six-year-old boy suffered second degree burns to his face after methylated spirits spilt on a campfire in Great Sandy National Park. He was flown to Lady Cilento Children’s Hospital to be treated for severe burns.
Paramedics said he sustained nine per cent partial thickness burns to the lower face and mouth with mild airway damage.
The boy had been camping with his family at Harry’s Hut, northwest of Noosa
Grey nomads and other campers lighting fires while travelling are urged to be extremely careful around campfires and not to leave odd bits of wood or other tripping hazards laying about. They are also cautioned to make sure they extinguish campfires completely. There have been incidents in which campers have arrived at a site and suffered burns from a campfire that was buried in sand rather than put out completely with water.
· Have you ever arrived at a campsite to find a campfire still hot? Comment below.