Closure could be on the cards at Keppel Sands

Published: February 13, 2012

Fears are growing that ongoing sewerage problems could be about to force the closure of the council caravan park at Keppel Sands, east of Rockhampton.

Residents and local businesses have organised a protest campaign to save the park which they say brings much-needed tourist dollars into the town.

The owner of the Keppel Sands Hotel, Bernie Barbler, believes there are elements in the council which want to abandon the park because the broken septic sewer is too costly to fix and regular pumping of the waste water and foul water tanks means the park is losing up to $100,000 a year.

“The pub, the shop, the takeaway – we rely on the caravan park and the tourists it attracts,” he told the Rockhamtpon Morning Bulletin. “”We know that closure is being considered, but if it closes it will ruin lives and wreck businesses … grey nomads come here every winter and there are nine permanent residents.”

Mr Barbler was adamant that it was a problen that could be fixed. He said the council had been granted $240,000 by the Federal Government to sort out the sewerage problem, but had not yet spent it.

A Rockhampton Regional Council spokesperson said councillors had considered a confidential report about “future management arrangements” and asked for a further report.

“This further report was requested as the council recognises the importance of the caravan park to the Keppel Sands community and wanted further options explored with a view to its retention,” the spokesperson said.

The Morning Bulletin understands that officers have reported that the park is not financially viable.

0 Comments
Oldest
Newest
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
ADVERTISEMENT

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

0
    0
    Your Cart
    Your cart is emptyReturn to Shop