Grey nomads eager to boost their travel budget are being given the chance to get out their fishing rods and join the quest to land a million dollar barra!
As part of a unique campaign to draw more visitors to the Territory, Tourism NT is to tag and release 76 barramundi across fishing locations in the Top End with one having a $1 million prize tag and the remaining 75 having $10,000 cash prize tags.
The promotion is timed to influence travel to the Top End during the low season from October to February with anglers encouraged to travel at that time to enjoy the unique tourism experiences and spectacular landscapes the whole of the Territory has to offer.
“The Northern Territory has some of the best fishing in the world and the chance to catch the iconic Territory barramundi is one of fishing’s greatest challenges,” said NT Chief Minister Adam Giles. “Now that challenge comes with the potential of a one million dollar reward.”
The Amateur Fishermen’s Association of the NT worked with Tourism NT to ensure the competition complied with sustainable fishing and best practice tag and release fishing.
The competition will run from October 1, 2015 to February 29, 2016, and participants must register online at www.milliondollarfish.com.au to compete.
The NT Government says that about 40,000 interstate visitors come to the Top End for fishing every year but it wants to encourage even more people to ‘stay, play and fish’.
Last year I stayed with my family in Kununurra and went fishing. OMG I did not know the first one was a barra, big enough to put on the fire and share it around, no cutlery. Never has tasted fish so beautifull. hoping to go on my way in a couple of weeks, wish me luck, barra here i come. Yummmm