‘We’ll self-quarantine if it gets us to the NT earlier’

Published: June 17, 2020

While most grey nomads are pinning their hopes in border restrictions being lifted next month before heading to the Northern Territory, others are not ready to wait that long.

The easing of self-quarantine regulations earlier this week has given many the excuse they were looking for to hitch up and drive north up the Stuart Highway.

From Monday, interstate arrivals in the Territory have been allowed to self-isolate for 14 days in a place of their choosing rather than being sent into forced hotel quarantine.

Self-contained caravans and motorhomes have been deemed suitable and a small wave of interstate tourists have reportedly already started to arrive in Alice Springs and elsewhere.

G’day Mate Tourist Park owner Linda Wilcox told the NT News that five caravans were arriving over the next few days.

“We’ve been empty for the last few months, so to finally get some new caravans coming through the gate is a great relief,” Ms Wilcox said. “It seems a lot of people are coming up from South Australia after being stuck there during the pandemic.”

Interstate travellers are required to get to their nominated place of self‐quarantine within 48 hours of arriving in the Territory.

People who need to travel for more than an hour before they reach their destination will need to outline planned fuel and rest stops and overnight accommodation details in a Border Arrival Form to be completed on arrival to the NT.

The early arrivals can look forward to enjoying the Territory’s amazing destinations without the usual crowds.

The ‘masses’ though may not be too far behind.  South Australia has already decided to allow visitors from the NT, WA and Tasmania to come into the state, and there is speculation that NT Chief Minister Michael Gunner may be considering a similar move.

He has promised to make a decision this week on whether the Territory will follow South Australia’s lead in announcing it will open up its borders to all jurisdictions on July 20,

Katherine’s Boab Caravan Park manager Belinda Biddle has pleaded for Mr Gunner to allow the ‘huge number’ of caravans ready to come into the Territory.

“We’ve heard from truckies passing through that Kununurra is full of caravans waiting to come here,” she told the Katherine Times. “The people who are going to come at this point are already on the road and up around the North, they’re moving around where they can and they’re dying to come here.”

She said it would be a huge boost if the borders opened early … and the good weather stayed for as long as possible.

“I know we’re all still a bit scared, but I believe if everyone maintains what we’ve all learnt the last few months about hygiene and social distancing then it’ll be okay,” Ms Biddle said.

  • Are you still hoping to get to the NT this year? Comment below.
  • We now have a Grey Nomads Instagram page. Please click here to follow us.

1 Comment
Oldest
Newest
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Kevin Kyle
6 years ago

We are in Whyalla now, making our way north to be near the NT border by mid July.

ADVERTISEMENT

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

0
    0
    Your Cart
    Your cart is emptyReturn to Shop