Just as grey nomads began to look forward to the realistic prospect of state and territory borders re-opening next month, a spike in coronavirus infections in Victoria is casting doubt on all of that.
More than 83% of new cases in Australia over the past week have been recorded in Victoria, and – for the first time – it is being reported that New South Wales may consider imposing some sort of border restrictions.
The state’s Deputy Premier, John Barilaro, says the State Government is to discuss ‘managing’ the number of people coming in from Victoria.
“We’re trying to get out of the Covid crisis,” he told Channel 7. “We’re lifting restrictions and now there’s a real threat from Victoria.”
NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian will today receive an urgent briefing from the state’s Chief Health Officer Kerry Chant about Victoria’s outbreak.
“NSW will continue to monitor the health situation in Victoria and nationally,” a NSW Government spokesperson said. “The NSW Government, in consultation with the Chief Health Officer, will continue to take the steps required to protect the health of our citizens.”
Queensland has confirmed that its medical officials are currently reviewing the situation in Victoria, but is refusing to say whether its July 10 reopening date would hold.
South Australia is due to re-open on July 20, but its government is closely monitoring the situation in Victoria and has not ruled out staying closed.
However, the Northern Territory Government is standing by its decision to re-open its borders on July 17, despite the new infections in Victoria.
Health Minister Natasha Fyles said the spike in positive results down south was just part of the “new normal”.
Tasmanian Premier Peter Gutwein is still expected to announce on Friday when border restrictions will be relaxed, a decision probably made more difficult by the deterioration of the health situation in Victoria.
Western Australia has repeatedly maintained that its border will remain closed for as long as there is sustained community spread of the virus in the eastern states.
The uptick in Covid-19 cases in Victoria has already prompted the state’s Premier, Daniel Andrews, to tighten restrictions around family gatherings at the weekend, limiting gatherings in homes to five people from today.
• Comment below.
Can we go into NSW from SA without going into quarantine ? I would also like to know can we go into Broken Hill
As far as I know that’s OK. It’s what I’m planning on doing as soon as I know if Qld are opening on Jly10.
Borders should stay closed until adjoining state / states / territory is clean of virus and at least 21 days virus free.
They keep saying “STOP THE SPREAD” so, let’s stop the spread and keep the borders closed.
Their mapping shows how quick one or two can spread to hundreds……
This virus will be with us for ever and a day. The flattening of the curve was initially designed so hospitals would not be inundated but State Premiers and country leaders decided to stop the virus. It will not happen. Private hospitals nearly went down because all non elective surgery was stopped. Geelong has a 90 bed Covid19 hospital that has never had a patient.
Absolutely ridiculous to attempt to stop this virus because as soon as a border is reopened or a condition eased, it will reinfect.. We need to be hygienic, washing hands etc, but to try and stop the virus is futile.
There is a vaccine available every year for Influenza but people choose to not take it and even last year over 1200 Australians died because of the “flu”.
Too right.
It is here to stay. Smoking alcohol kill far more than the flu and covid combined
Can we please lose the word “uptick”? Stupid jargon, ever seen a tick that wasn’t up? What is wrong with “increase”?