Mornington Peninsula to lift camping ban early

Published: November 27, 2020
Camping will now be allowed at Mornington Peninsula

As Victoria records its 28th consecutive day with no new coronavirus cases, Mornington Peninsula Shire has reversed its earlier decision to ban camping at its campsites until February 2021.

Earlier this month, the shire’s CEO, John Baker, said one of its major concerns was the transmission risk from people having to use the shared toilet and shower amenity blocks.

However, it has just been announced that foreshore camping at Shire managed reserves in Rye, Rosebud and Sorento will now resume on January 2, 2021.

The decision was taken after a detailed risk assessment was taken following the State Government’s Coronavirus roadmap announcement last Sunday.

Mr Baker said the overall easing of restrictions and in particular an increase in outdoor gathering numbers guided the thinking.

“After reviewing the details in the Premier’s recent announcement and considering the risks, we concluded it was safe to resume camping, albeit with some ongoing Covid requirements in place,” Mr Baker said.  “I’m delighted we can allow the camping tradition to continue on the Peninsula this summer and I implore our campers to do the right thing to ensure a safe and successful season.”

It is estimated that the campgrounds will operate at approximately 80% capacity to support social distancing and to ensure adequate space between sites. There will be no casual booking offered at this stage.

Campers will be asked to observe a number of Covid requirements such as a guest register for each site, complying with density quotients in amenity blocks and the wearing of masks where appropriate. They are also being encouraged to pack light and limit the use of extra equipment and kit to maintain a clear distance between sites.

The shire will be introducing additional cleaning of amenity blocks.

Mr Baker said ongoing concerns about the intermingling of beachgoers and campers remain which is why the January 2 date was chosen.

“We have been cautious with our deliberations and believe we have reached the right balance between public safety and allowing the camping season to continue,” he said.

The Shire will continue to monitor the advice from the Chief Health Officer and update campers and the community if circumstances change.

  • Comment below.
1 Comment
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
ROBERT COOK
1 year ago

What rationale was used by the council to open after xmas. These campgrounds have been used for years by working people to enjoy the area over the xmas new year holiday period.

ADVERTISEMENT

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

0
    0
    Your Cart
    Your cart is emptyReturn to Shop