The controversial decision to ban tents at three campsites on Queensland’s North Stradbroke Island over Easter has been reversed.
The change of heart follows the announcement from Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk on Thursday that the limit on people allowed at camp sites would be removed from 1:00am on Saturday, March 13.
In a statement, Minjerribah Camping, owned by Quandamooka Yoolooburrabee Aboriginal Corporation (QYAC), announced guests on the waitlist for tent camping at Amity Point, Adder Rock, and Home Beach campgrounds had been contacted to book now-opened camp sites.
“Minjerribah Camping welcomes the Premiers decision to lift COVID restrictions on camping in Queensland,” the statement said.
“Any remaining tent camping sites at Amity, Adder Rock and Home Beach for guests not on the waitlist will be available to book through our website from Wednesday, March 17.”
However, the limits of four adults or two adults and three children per site remain.
Straddie Chamber of Commerce chair Colin Battersby told the ABC that he was pleased that the campsites had re-opened to tenters.
“It’s hard to argue when you’re not a doctor that there’s no need for camping restrictions on grounds anywhere else in Queensland, but they feel the need to do it here,” he said. “They have the power and right to do that, as any business does, but whether that is the right thing by the business community is debatable.
Minjerribah Camping said Cylinder Beach was already fully booked, while a limited number of beach camping sites were still available at Main Beach and Flinders Beach for the Easter holiday period.